Derek Woodgate, President and Chief Futurist, The Futures Lab, Inc.
Derek Woodgate is a consulting futurist/foresight scientist, educator, author, speaker and curator. He is Chief Futurist of The Futures Lab, Inc. a foresight consultancy, founded in 1996, which specialises in creating future potential for major global corporations, governments and institutions (futures-lab.com). Derek’s fields of expertise include the application of emerging technologies and new approaches to the science of foresight and uniquely creative approaches to working with unstructured knowledge in unknown worlds. His recent academic work deals predominantly with the intersection of foresight, future learning, multimedia technologies, personal ambience and the changing human.
Also, Derek is an Assistant Professor at the University of Agder in Norway, teaching Master’s courses on the Future of Mobile Learning and the Future of Media and Entertainment; and is a University Lecturer at The University of Houston, where his courses include An Introduction to Foresight and The Future of Energy and the Environment.
Since 2006, Derek is also the CCO of at The Futures Lab’s future-focused events company, The FutureXperience Lab, (previously Plutopia Productions), where he has created numerous “living the future” experiential events. (futurexperiencelab.com)
Derek has previous experience as an executive on the board of two major international corporations and over 20 years SVP-level management and operational experience and ex- UK diplomat.
Derek is a founding member and ex-board member of the Association of Professional Futurists; a professional member of The World Futures Society and ex-President of the Central Texas Chapter of the WFS; member of The World Futures Studies Federation and an adviser to the CreateAustin Cultural Plan.
Derek has lived and worked in eleven countries and is at home in seven languages (English, Croatian, French, Italian, Bulgarian, Russian and Dutch).
His authored works include:
- “Future Frequencies,” book published Fringecore Publishing in 2005.
- “Future Flow”, book excerpts published in Academia, 2012.
- “Calling The Toads – A Burroughs Compendium” (1999) co-authored with Lee Ranaldo of Sonic Youth, Allen Ginsberg and Douglas Brinkley, Published Fringecore Publishing, 1999
- “The Future of Advertising” Handbook, Published 2014
- “Immersive spatial narratives as a framework for augmenting creativity in foresight-based learning systems”, Journal On the Horizon, 2019
- “Developing future vision landscape and models of technology enhanced learning”, 2018
- “Foresight as a Tool for Increasing Creativity in the Age of Technology-Enhanced Learning”, Communications in Computer and Information Science, Springer 2018.
- “Children’s Interactions Within a Virtual Reality Environment for Learning Chemistry. Advances in Human Factors in Training, Education, and Learning Sciences”, Springer 2017.